Superbowl Sunday is practically a holiday at our house! We’ve made it an annual tradition to set up a buffet of all kinds of yummy treats to enjoy all day long- from the start of the Puppy Bowl to the end of the Big Game! And our favorite dessert for game day is this Superbowl Texas Sheet Cake!
What makes this cake so adorable are the decorated Teddy Grahams. I use colored icing inside of a piping bag to create tiny “shirts” for each of the bears. I then pipe on a jersey number on top of each shirt to represent the two teams!
After the cake is baked and frosted, I pipe on yard lines, and then add the Teddy Bear football players!
Superbowl Texas Sheet Cake Recipe:
Superbowl Texas Sheet Cake
This delicious Superbowl Texas sheet cake is decorated to support your favorite team!
For the cake batter
- 2 sticks margarine
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the frosting
- 1 stick margarine
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoons milk
- 1 lb. box of powdered sugar
- Green food coloring
For the football field
- White frosting, placed into a piping bag (or a zip-top bag) with a small tip
- 22 Teddy Bear cookies
- 2 colors of frosting to match the opposing team’s colors, placed into a piping bag (or a zip-top bag) with a small tip
- Bring the 2 sticks of margarine and the 4 Tablespoons of cocoa to a simmer in a saucepan on the stove. Add to the 1 cup of water and bring this chocolate mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, stir together the 2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 2 cups of sugar. Pour the chocolate mixture from the saucepan on top and stir together with a large spoon.
- Then add 2 eggs, ½ cup milk, ½ Tablespoon vinegar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Mix well and pour onto a rimmed baking sheet (large jelly-roll style). I spray my jelly roll pan with a bit of baking spray before pouring in the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
After the cake has cooled, you can prepare the frosting
- Bring to a boil in a saucepan on the stove 1 stick margarine, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 6 Tablespoons of milk.
- Pour this over a 1 lb. box of powdered sugar (I run the powdered sugar through a sifter first to break up any lumps.). Add the green food coloring until you achieve the color of vibrant green grass!
- Mix well and spread over the cake.
- Meanwhile, prepare your football players by piping little “jerseys” into the Teddy Bears in their team colors. After the “jerseys” have hardened a bit, use the white icing to pipe on player jersey numbers.
- Allow the frosting on the cake to cool and harden a bit before adding the white icing to create field lines, and decorated Teddy Bear players. Don’t forget to add your team names into the end zones!
Sometimes we use the chocolate frosting from the Texas sheet cake recipe…
Other times we use our traditional fluffy frosting recipe to create a green football field instead!
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!