Ever meet a male doula? Here’s your chance.
Listen to Real Men Feel, #146, “Men’s Role in Birth” here:
Male doula, William Moore, joins us to discuss the importance of men being involved in the birthing process.
“There are people who think within the box. There are people who are praised for thinking outside the box. I say why are you even in the box to begin with?” ~ William Moore
William Moore, C.P.E. is a Semi-Professional Football player, an artist, a public health professional, a doula and most importantly a man who cares about his community. As a Certified Perinatal Educator, Doula and Lactation Educator who is sensitive to expectant mother’s and father’s needs, William is an advocate for them in the doctor’s office and throughout the birth process.
This wide-ranging interview covers what doulas do, the importance of men being involved, the stereotypes against men being involved, the power of a good Grandma, toxic masculinity, happiness, and being weird.
Topics and Questions Include:
- (1:34) What is a doula?
- (3:09) Is a doula different from a midwife?
- (3:52) Can a doula deliver a baby?
- (4:56) Postpartum and breastfeeding support
- (7:25) Is it common for men to be doulas?
- (10:40 ) Break out of the realm of labels.
- (13:34) Why did you become a doula?
- (17:25) Stereotypes of men.
- (19:06) Infant and maternal mortality rates
- (20:30) Let’s get more men involved in the birth process
- (24:05) Reasons for the disparity in infant mortality and maternal death rates – systematic racism.
- (27:40) Are men resistant to being more involved?
- (29:24) Thoughts on toxic masculinity.
- (36:39) Will’s philosophy for life.
- (37:28) Where did your definition of masculinity come from?
- (42:40) The slow death of letting someone else define you.
- (45:24) Being weird and embracing it
- (51:16) Following your vision
- (52:39) What do you wish more men realized about the birthing process?
- (56:56) What both parents want for their kids.
- (57:44) Tell us about your podcast, Chill Time Is Will Time.
Watch Real Men Feel, #146, Men’s Role in Birth, September 3, 2019
“Many people view birth work as women’s work. But taking care of your family isn’t women’s work, it is family work. It is incumbent on everybody.” ~ William Moore
Connect with William on LinkedIn.
Interested in being on Will’s podcast? email [email protected]
For info on his doula work, contact [email protected]
Will’s podcast, Chill Time is Will Time.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to [email protected].
Subscribe to the podcast at RealMenFeel.org/iTunes
Like the Real Men Feel show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Scroll down to the author bio for all the links to access more #RealMenFeel
A version of this post was previously published on RealMenFeel.org and is republished here with permission from the author.
If you believe in the work we are doing here at The Good Men Project and want to join our calls on a regular basis, please join us as a Premium Member, today.
All Premium Members get to view The Good Men Project with NO ADS.
A $50 annual membership gives you an all-access pass. You can be a part of every call, group, class, and community.
A $25 annual membership gives you access to one class, one Social Interest group, and our online communities.
A $12 annual membership gives you access to our Friday calls with the publisher, our online community.
Register New Account
Need more info? A complete list of benefits is here.