Swimming is an essential life skill. But before you enroll your child for swimming classes, you should get them the necessary safety gear. One such accessory is a pair of swimming goggles that serve a significant purpose.
In this MomJunction post, we guide you on purchasing children’s swimming goggles and provide a list of the 11 best swimming goggles for kids.
Does Your Child Need Swimming Goggles?
Yes. Swimming goggles can make swimming safer for a child in the following ways.
- Protection against compounds in water: The water in swimming pools can contain several chemicals, such as chlorine and bromine that may irritate the eyes. An irritated eye may itch, become red, and cause severe discomfort. Research shows that swimming goggles could reduce the risk of eye irritation (1). They could also protect eyes against other dissolved particles and debris present in the water.
- Protection against physical impact: Children indulged in active water sports move around quickly and have difficulty seeing someone in their path. Swimming goggles can reduce the risk of injury due to such accidental impact while swimming. Safety equipment is compulsory for some intense swimming pool games such as water polo, for which the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends the use of swimming goggles (2).
- Better visibility: For the first-time swimmers, everything appears blurry underwater. It is due to the way light bounces inside water. Swimming goggles can trap some air in front of the eye, making it a bit easier for the child to see objects in the water.
Swimming goggles offer some benefits, and you might want to buy them to make your child’s swimming sessions more enjoyable.
How To Choose Swimming Goggles For Kids?
You could consider the following points while shopping for swimming goggles for children:
- Ease of wearing: The goggles should be easy for a child to wear with no assembly and minimal adjustment required. It is best to avoid Swedish goggles, which the user has to assemble for use. To minimize hassles, it is best to buy ready-to-wear goggle for children.
- Comfortable: The nosepiece and the eye cups should sit comfortably on the face without poking into the skin. Let the child try the goggles to see if they are comfortable using them for an hour or so.
- Adjustable: A pair of swimming goggles with adjustable straps can grow as your child grows. If your child is likely to wear their swimming goggles for a long time, then those with adjustable straps can make a good choice.
- Water seal: Most swimming goggles for children come with a silicone or rubber gasket around the eye cup. It prevents the water from getting into the eyes. Check this feature to ensure the goggles fit well, and there are no gaps to let water seep into the eyes.
- Additional and specialized features: Swimming goggles can come with features that serve a specific purpose. For instance, some goggles may have eye cups with prescription lenses. Several goggles come with the anti-fog feature (prevent water condensation) and UV protection coating on the eye cups. UV protection swimming goggles can be a good choice if your child swims in an open swimming pool or loves swimming at beaches.
In the next section, we present a list of swimming goggles for kids that you could consider while shopping.
11 Best Swimming Goggles For Kids
1. Splaqua Kids Swim Goggles
- The silicone gasket forms a seal around the eye to prevent water from getting in.
- These swimming goggles for kids come in clear and teal tint options for the lens.
- It has the anti-fog and UV protection feature.
- You can pick the goggles in four color options.
2. KNGUVTH Kids Swim Goggles
- The gasket around the eye cups is made from high-quality silicone, which can adjust to the shape of the face.
- The polycarbonate lenses are impact-resistant, anti-fog, and offer UV protection.
- The wide shape and angle of the lenses enable 180° field of vision.
- One pack comes with two swimming goggles for kids.
- The button-release clip on the head strap makes it easy to wear and remove the goggles.
3. TYR Youth Tie Dye Swimple Goggles
- The polycarbonate lenses come with an anti-fog coating and UV protection.
- There is a silicone gasket around the eye cups for comfort and protection.
- The frame is unibody for durability.
- It is available in six color options.
4. Speedo Skoogles Kids Swim Goggles
- It comes with a middle eye fit where the eye cups sit within the orbit, which is on the rim of the eye socket.
- The frame is made from silicone and has no latex at all.
- The UV protection layer shields against both UVA and UVB rays.
- The straps are designed to make it easy for a child to wear and remove the goggles.
- It is available in seven color options.
5. Speedo Jr. Hydrospex Classic Swim Goggles
- The soft silicone frame comes with an outer eye fit. It makes the eye cups rest outside the eye socket.
- Latex is not used in the making of these swimming goggles for kids.
- The lenses come with an anti-fog coating, which prevents water condensation and formation of droplets on the lenses.
- The UV protection layer on the lens protects against UVA and UVB rays.
- The eye cup seal is of high quality and prevents water from leaking to the inside.
6. Cooloo Swim Goggles
- The clip of the head strap has a single button design, which makes it convenient to wear and remove the swimming goggles.
- The silicone gasket along the eye cups can adjust to the child’s face to provide a comfortable fit.
- The silicone used is durable and also skin-friendly.
- The anti-fog coating on the lenses prevents water condensation.
- The lenses are mirrored from the outside and come with UV protection.
7. EverSport Swim Goggles
- These swimming goggles come in packs of two, inside a mesh bag.
- The goggles are available in 17 color options for the lens tint and the frame.
- The lenses have an anti-fog feature to prevent water condensation, and there is UV protection too.
- The gasket around the eye cups prevents water from getting to the eyes.
- The silicone frame is flexible and adjustable. There is even a one-click release clip on the head strap.
- The lenses offer a wide field of vision and are also shatter-resistant.
8. Aegend Swim Goggles
- The nosepiece is flexible and moves in both directions. It helps absorb impact and movements that may occur while swimming.
- The lenses come with an anti-fog coating to prevent condensation of water droplets inside the eye cups.
- Each lens is made from polycarbonate material, which is shatter-resistant.
- The strap has an easy-release clip on the head strap for ease of wearing and removal.
- Silicone at the rim of the eye cups provides a snug fit.
- The goggles are available in 20 color options.
- The swimming goggles come with a one-year replacement guarantee by the manufacturer.
9. Aqua Sphere Kayenne Junior Swim Goggle
- The lenses are curved to provide 180° field of vision in water.
- Each lens is made from a polycarbonate material, which is strong and durable.
- These swimming goggles for kids come with an easy-to-adjust side buckle.
- The lenses are available in three tint options, namely blue, smoke, and clear. The lenses also offer UV protection.
- You can pick these swimming goggles for kids in seven color options.
10. Hurdilen Kids Swim Goggles
- The silicone used in the gasket is hypoallergenic and does not contain latex or PVC.
- The gasket is soft, well-cushioned, and adjusts to the shape of your socket.
- The one-button clip in the head strap allows for easy removal of the swimming goggles.
- The polycarbonate lenses are mirrored and come several features, namely anti-fog, UV protection, and impact resistance.
11. Aqua Sphere Seal Kid 2 Swim Goggle
- A tab each on the edge of the eye cups makes it easy to slide the head strap and tighten it.
- The lenses are shaped such that to allow a 180° field of vision.
- Each lens comes with an anti-fog coating and also has a UV protection on it. It is also resistant to scratches.
- The gasket around the eye cups is made from a soft material, which provides maximum comfort.
- The goggles have an outer eye fit, which means the rim of the eye cups sits outside the eye socket.
- The swimming goggles for kids is available in eight head strap colors. The lens is available in tints of two colors, namely clear and blue.
It is always a good idea to pack a pair of swimming goggles in your little one’s swimming bag, whether they are pros or just beginning to swim. Washing the goggles with clean and fresh water after each swim and leaving them to dry without wiping is all that is needed to make the equipment last a long time.
Which swimming goggles does your kid prefer? Let us know in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.